Triple Zero (000)
Triple Zero (000) is Australia’s main emergency service number for urgent help from police, fire or ambulance services. Telstra answers calls to the emergency service numbers 000 and 112 and transfers the call, and information about a caller’s location, to the emergency service requested.
000 should only be called when:
- someone is seriously injured or in need of urgent medical help
- the caller’s life or property is being threatened
- the caller has just witnessed a serious accident or crime.
There is no charge for calling Triple Zero (000) – these calls are free from any kind of phone.
112 – international standard emergency number
While triple zero (000) is the Australian standard emergency number, 112 is an international standard emergency number. Dialling 112 directs a caller to the same triple zero (000) call service and does not give the call priority over triple zero (000).
Police attendance – 131 444
If someone is a victim of a crime, other than in life threatening or time critical emergency situations, they can phone the Police Assistance Line on 131 444. The Police Assistance Line operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and allows a caller to report crime over the phone and any information provided is immediately available to local police. When a police response is required, the Police Assistance Line will arrange for police officers to attend. The Police Assistance Line can also assist a caller with general police inquiries.
Contacting emergency services for people who are deaf or hard of hearing
There are many ways to contact emergency services via the National Relay Service for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. If someone is in an emergency which is life threatening or where time is critical, they can contact Fire Services, Police or Ambulance:
- by TTY – dial 106
- by internet relay [external link] and ask for Triple Zero (000)
- by captioned relay and ask for Triple Zero (000)
- by SMS relay – text 0423 677 767 include “000, FIRE, your name, location and details of emergency, GA (go ahead)”.
- by video relay – login to Skype and contact one of the NRS contact names (NOTE: only available 7am-6pm EST Mon-Fri), or
- by ordinary phone – dial 1800 555 727 and ask for Triple Zero (000)
If you have information that might help solve, prevent or stop a crime, you can contact Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or submit a report here. You don’t have to say who you are or get involved.
Crime Stoppers encourages the community to provide information about:
- people wanted by police
- unsolved crimes and future crime being planned
- people who have committed criminal offences where they have not been arrested
- suspicious or unusual activity.